Air Resource Specialists (ARS) is hiring a full-time Field Specialist to work in our ambient air quality monitoring group. This position splits time between field, office, and laboratory settings to support ambient air quality monitoring operations for networks within the Rocky Mountain region and beyond. We’re looking for a resourceful, analytical individual that can work with a team to ensure excellent technical support to clients, troubleshoot mechanical issues, and provide clear documentation on problems and solutions. The Field Specialist is responsible for working with site operators and ARS’ Data Analysis group to maintain the functionality of air monitoring instruments. This position requires inside/outside work and domestic travel approximately 30-50% of the time.
ARS has been providing professional air quality consulting services to clients in the public and private sectors for more than 40 years. Our team of 30 consists of office, field, and laboratory staff dedicated to building long-standing relationships and delivering high-integrity products and technical services to our clients. We manage projects large and small – from national-scale air quality networks to community-based projects – with an emphasis on creative problem solving, engaged technical support, and high-quality data products. We’re looking for individuals with our shared commitment to integrity and enthusiasm for collaboration to join our team.
Summary of Responsibilities:
Schedule and perform routine maintenance, repairs, audit services, and other client visits to air quality monitoring sites. This includes arranging all travel and associated site needs, as well as preparing instruments, tools, reports, and other resources for the visit.
- Review daily data from monitoring sites to verify equipment is operational and data is consistent.
- Educate clients on the functionality of the instrument; provide technical training and support for site operators.
- Perform equipment troubleshooting remotely or assist site operators to verify equipment is functioning properly.
- Perform corrective actions by coordinating with station/site operators. Identify issues by reviewing control charts, data plots, audit results and other data products.
- Specify, purchase, install and integrate new and updated testing equipment and instruments in a manner consistent with stakeholders’ requirements and safety.
- Engage in laboratory activities repairing, certifying, and servicing instruments.
- Analyze data and create documentation and technical reports for Data Analysis group and other ARS groups upon return from client visits or in preparation for travel.
- Keep informed on industry news and trends, products, services, relevant information about legacy, existing, and emerging technologies, and the latest scientific and technical developments.
- Minimum of 2-year Associate’s degree in a technical or scientific discipline, including but not limited to chemistry, physics, engineering, etc. Bachelor’s degree in technical or scientific discipline preferred.
- Must have valid passport, driver’s license, and be able to rent a car.
- Must be able to work inside/outside when in the field. Outside work can vary from extreme heat to below freezing conditions
- Process-driven, organized individual with strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Must be able to work independently, with little supervision; self-motivated; strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills; good adaptability skills to work in varied conditions.
- Comfortable using various power tools.
- Previous experience in air monitoring field preferred.
- Familiarity with TCP/IP Ethernet, serial, cellular and satellite communication preferred.
- Able to climb towers with equipment and at altitude. Heights routinely more than 30 feet, occasionally more than 100 feet.
- All specialty licenses & certificates, including tower climbing safety certification and rescue certification, provided by the company upon hire.
- Projects may require some weekend work and occasionally last up to 2 weeks without a day off.
Salary & Benefits
The Field Specialist salary starts at $45,000 – 55,000, depending upon qualifications and experience. Benefits include:
- Paid Vacation, Sick Leave and Comp Time
- Health, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Health Reimbursement Account (HRA)
- Life Insurance
- Educational Reimbursement Program
- Fitness Reimbursement Program
Air Resource Specialists is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Want to join our team?
Join our team of air quality professionals working every day to deliver innovative solutions for air quality monitoring and environmental compliance needs. We are a small company with a leadership team that is open to new ideas, resourceful problem-solving and opportunities for growth. Formed in 1981, our staff has a wide range of expertise and is dedicated to broadening the understanding of air quality science and policy.
We view our contracts as partnerships, our clients as colleagues, and are proud of our long tradition of providing the highest quality services in a professional, effective and engaging manner. Our project teams are led and supported by employees who are dedicated, competent and reliable. You’ll fit right in!
Our field operations team designs, builds, operates, and audits air quality monitoring stations. This versatile group splits their time between the great outdoors, laboratories, workshops and the office to deliver a variety of air quality and meteorological monitoring services. As our feet on the ground, this group fosters independence, ingenuity and some serious troubleshooting skills to ensure the smooth operation of all ARS’ monitoring projects.
Our data team collects, validates, analyzes and reports meteorological and ambient air quality data. This small and effective group works hand in hand with our field operations team following EPA guidance to pick apart data, examine anomalies, and provide the highest quality defensible data to our clients. This crew is thorough and well-versed in manual and automated validation techniques. In 2010 we even won “The Information Overload” award from the EPA Air Quality System team for the sheer quantity of data we upload to AQS!
Our lab technicians work tirelessly to maintain air quality and communication equipment for ARS and our clients. This adaptable group troubleshoots and repairs gaseous, particulate, meteorological and optical instruments, working closely with our field staff and equipment manufacturers to keep instruments in our networks operating in tip-top condition.
Our quality assurance department, in addition to developing quality assurance documentation and ensuring NIST-traceability for all calibration standards, functions independently to complete performance, TSA, PEP and NPAP audits at air quality and meteorological monitoring sites. This team is dedicated to the details, upholding strict protocols set forth by EPA, PSD and SLAMS guidance.
Our environmental compliance group aids clients with regulatory analysis and interpretation of the Clean Air and Clean Water Acts, and other federal, state and local regulations. This dynamic team offers dispersion modeling and NEPA planning, Greenhouse Gas services, preparation of permit applications, stationary & mobile source analysis, emissions inventories and air compliance auditing. This group works closely with clients to ensure clarity in the complicated world of environmental compliance.
Our office team consists of accounting, administrative, IT and management staff. This group works together to support staff, clients, business and project operations. Every member of this team assumes versatile roles, making each individual pivotal to the success of our company.